Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 2011 "Re" quest




I chose this Easter to make a minor adjustment in my first name to commemorate a major adjustment in my Christian Walk, a “re”dedication of sorts. I am shifting my name’s already untypical spelling from MaryAnn (with no space) to Mare. Spelling it differently doesn’t really matter to everyone else-only me. Every time I write my name I can remember how God “re” ‘s me. (Redeems, redefine, reform…see where I am going?)

Writing my name, like I have for so long sounds so funny and strange now. That alone tells such a story! It is in many ways how I have lived most of my life- with no space, squeezing the most from myself, leaving no wiggle room, no allowance for mistakes and most notably a glaring lack of adequate quiet time to spend with God in prayer!

In the times when I could hardly catch my breath, Joanne would quote to me a bible verse she thought I should memorize. She said it to me so often, I finally did. Sometimes she would say it like it was a secret, in a whisper. Some times, when I must have sounded close to frantic, she sounded alittle stern. But most the time she said it with the “sound of a smile” in her voice. How she had such patience with me!

“Be still and know I am God”, I still think it, I have it in my heart and it is even on a plaque on my shelf at home. But it was my brother-in-law who stopped me in my tracks more than a year ago.

After Joanne’s passing, he decided to have a memorial garden for her at Sail Boat Cove. I agreed to be the caretaker of her garden. When the garden was first installed, he made arrangements for a bench with her name. I wasn’t the first to see the engraved plaque placed on the backrest of her bench, I probably wasn’t even the first to cry. But I might have been the first to freeze in place, so I could hear her whisper as I read my verse.

Please feel free to call me “Re” or “Mare” and share with me the pleasant “re” minder of my sister, Joanne, her sometimes silly ways of making a point and the amazing Heavenly Father who gave her to me as my baby sister!

Again; anew: rebuild, restore, reborn, redeem.
2. Backward; back: react.
3. Used as an intensive: refine.
re-a prefix meaning anew
Usage re- with verb indicates restoration
prefix meaning "back to the original place, again," also with a sense of "undoing," c.1200, from O.Fr. and directly from L. re- "again, back, against
a prefix, occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, used with the meaning “again” or “again and again” to indicate repetition, or with the meaning “back” or “backward” to indicate withdrawal or backward motion: regenerate; refurbish; retype; retrace; revert.
Indicating a return to a previous condition or an opportunity repeat with an intent to improve

http://www.embassyofheaven.com/catalog/comeout/comeoutc2.htm

No comments: