Sunday, May 15, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday May 14th Plant of the Week Peony





Well it seems I am back in good graces at least for now ( apparently my new “title / promotion” as Special Officer in charge of selecting worthy/great plants to Feature for KTRS’s Inside Out Show is more than a mouthful, it is also a temp position that might be dissolved at a whim!

Rather than ponder the precariousness of my new status I have decided to attempt to recall how I got here and why I agreed to do this in the first place.

Many long time KTRS weekend listeners thought this dalliance of mine that causes me to participate weekly with the Inside Out show crew was for real, job position affiliated. (Good news (but for who?) That is not so or else I would have been long gone!

I have wondered myself “how long can I keep doing this? (Mostly because you all still keep asking!)

I have been a willing participant for years of Saturday afternoons. I deal with what I know to be two great guys that are a source of usable and practical homeowner related help/ advice.

I suppose it is my sense of humor is what is actually in question-(and maybe my priorities) I have no explanation other than I enjoy the show! I do question now what was it I was lacking or suffered overages of in my childhood that makes me laugh at their shenanigans!

I do find immeasurable joy interfacing on any level with the uniqueness of creation! (Ha that is it- I am actually infatuated with oddities- and these two sometimes sound like Very strange creatures!

Now For Plant Talk:

This week I had already decided to discuss the peony, even before the caller with problems!

I was once told that the most frequent problem, rain heavy bowed flower heads and sometimes serious cases of botrytis “stems” from the want of bodacious heavily petaled blossoms and longer but weak stems that were in demand during the 1950’s flower grower focus on the florist industry.

Now we have an excess of hybrid peony flowers that can best be enjoyed in vases but might be more likely seen in mud puddles!

Solutions, support the entrepreneurship of the tomato cage makers by purchasing a few peony rings and placing them around your peonies as they break ground in the spring or better yet, be choosy and think long term enjoyment when buying peonies ( A life span of 50 years plus is very possible!)

Visit these links for more information and revisit any favorite peonies growing in our region later in the season. August and September are very telling times to get a fair assessment of a particular cultivar’s foliage appearance; many become unsightly in the garden at that time! If you fancy yourself as a collector of plants that have minimal needs and thrive without irrigation, consider joining the peony society!

http://americanpeonysociety.org/
http://www.peonies.org/index.shtml
and my favorite mail order source for Peonies , Klehm’s Song Sparrow Perennial Farms( they donated a spectacular collection for my area in the Missouri Botanical Garden’s Kemper Center for Home Gardening- a must see!
PS

I was thinking about bowed heads and how humble I feel when I am having a “moment” enjoying the awe inspiring beauty of a peony blossom. This yellow one was a gift from a sister of my heart friend in KC Ricki Creamer of Red Cedar Gardens,

She had also experienced a loss of a loved one and knew how my interface experience with nature would bring me face-to-face with God, who knows what he is doing!

Best ever peony plant combo: Joanne’s favorite color was yellow! I have my peony planted where it can echo the same soft palette of colors that are in Missouri native columbine, Aquilegia canadensis and the more citric color yellow of my swallowtail butterfly host plant Zizia!

Eternally His…

MaRe (Re)

No comments: