Sunday, May 8, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday May 7th Plant of the Week-Fringe tree




The growing season and moods of my co-hearts are leveling out-thank goodness. I am not sure but I think I even got a promotion from Inside Out’s “Special Agent” to “Officer In Charge” of bringing great plants to 550 KTRS listeners.

It was nice to feel good about the show since I was feeling a little upset when I realized they were just around the corner on location but they hadn’t invited me to join them on location. They were at Hackmann Do It Best Hardware Store in St. Charles, apparently surrounded by beautiful handing baskets! (why would they even think I would like that?)

They seemed to think I was joking when I said they hurt my feelings, so clearly they don’t understand how much I enjoy their company. That is ok, because I am already just way too happy to have their attention each week for even a few minutes, just to talk about plants!

Surprise, I always chose a personal favorite. This week I talked about Chionanthus virginicus or better known as Fringe tree. I have a female Fringe tree, from Greenscape Gardens planted in my sister’s memorial garden at St Louis County’s Sailboat Cove.

This tree, when in full flower, is very recognizable. Her frilly petticoat fringe flowers are very distinct and sweetly fragrant. Her leaves are a clean apple green and stay attractive throughout the growing season.

I am finally starting to see them around the “fringe” of the city but several have been long time residents of Tower Grove Park! I visited a few grouped together at the edge of a lake at the City Hall of the City of St Peter’s. It is a beautiful park I enjoy frequently with my grandson. It is great to be able to point to so many several great plant groupings. They are for the most part visable and easy to enjoy. I invite all our lissteners to find such a treasure and consider keeping a log-just for fun!

This is a tree worthy ofa quick "drive by" enjoyment as well as close up/ lingering pleasure!

Follow these links and see if you too can find a place for this great tree that not on the fringe of your property! This Missouri native tree that is definately doorstep worthy! (They are easy enough for the "average "homeowner,with "average" soil conditions to have above average results! side note: Fringe tree also tolerate very moist rain gardens and once established some drought!)

Here are a few Fringe links:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plantkey.asp?key=Cornus%20florida

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/com.asp?code=C120




photo credit Lisa Francis / Missouri Botanical Garden


PS

I was thinking about “fringe” and its many meanings and how much I feel like I am more on the “fringe these days as well. One of my favorite daily radio shows on Bott Radio is “Living On the Edge” with Chip Engram. He has a great way of describing how to survive the challenges of Fringe Living- hope you take the time to listen to him sometime!

Eternally His…

Mare (Re)

No comments: