Monday, December 26, 2011

550 KTRS Inside Out Show December 24th 2011 Plant of the Week, Meyer Lemon Tree


Yes there was a 550 Christmas Eve KTRS’s “Inside Out “show Saturday and there was questions and calls on a wide variety of topics. Ellen, prepared to entertain and inform as needed talked in the first hour about Meyer Lemon trees. She also brought in some tasty treats from a kumquat plant. It seemed logical as she whisked me along with her “on air enthusiasm” that I should take her lead and discuss this beautiful, fragrant house plant / tree.

As usual, she triggered a ton of favorite plant memories for me! She also caused me to ponder the sadness brought on from the reminder that I have lost track of my friend Sylvia who first introduced me to growing citrus plants indoor. (Side note, if anyone knows Sylvia Greer and has her contact info please let her know I would like to hear from her. She moved to Seattle WA and then retired to Rolla and then my computer crashed. I lost all my info and a dear pen pal / friend who also enjoyed my passion for geraniums!)

When Sylvia moved away, her level of indoor gardening success became the envy of those who inherited her plants. I struck “pay dirt” when she gave me her wonderful compost pile, but my MG cousin accepted the challenge of what to do with a large thorny tree that needs to be near a large door or window. Also it took her some time to research and meet tree’s ongoing need for acidic pH. As I recall she has also battled a few insect challenges in the process of getting this tree to thrive. All is well now and the amazingly wonderful fragrance of the flower and fruit that fills the room is enough keep her committed to the effort!

I have moved away from my dream garden that benefited from Sylvia’s compost but my dear green heart cousin took all of Sylvia’s house plants she could manage and then later opened her home to several of mine. I have “anytime I want” visitation privileges and for that I am so grateful!

I confess every time I listen to Ellen I feel like hopping in the car and heading to Bowood Farms. Shortly I know I will find myself unable to resist the craving for warmth and more light. Knowing I will need to find a good light filled space with plants, my dad and I have decided to take Ellen up on her “on air” invitation to visit to Bowood soon!

We are planning to bring our poinsettias for her recycling program and have lunch at Bowood’s Osage Café. I am hoping I don’t forget I live in a very small light deprived place these days and have no place for such a “deserves better” plant as Meyer Lemon tree or a “crazy cute” Kumquat! (I am praying I will be able to stay strong and not purchase any plants that I will just have to relinquish again!)

For those who want to try citrus and may not want as much of a challenge as the lemon, it is noteworthy that kumquats don’t have as many thorns and may be a little easier to grow. They also need lots of bright light!

If I've worried you some about the challenges of growing lemons indoors, I offer my apologies. But don't give up! Instead consider Ellen’s alternative: a kumquat. It will give you the same year-round gifts of shiny leaves, fragrant flowers and delicious fruit but with a little less grief.

Here are some links on Meyer Lemons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_lemon

http://www.5min.com/Video/Caring-for-Your-Meyer-Lemon-Tree-152679509

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/d391/citrus-x-meyeri-meyer.aspx

Or check this link for Kumquat information:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18828304

Show LINKS

John Shea, of Collier, Thompson and Shea

Garden Height’s Steffie Littlefield

Ellen Barredo, of Bowood Farms

Greenscape Gardens, Jennifer Schamber

KTRS is doing a three person round robin rotation that will address the part of KTRS’s Inside Out Show’s focus on gardening, landscaping and turf care (basically the “Out” portion of the show.)

John Shea will continue with his team of experts and industry representatives from the home building industry and hardware retail suppliers as the anchor of the Inside Out Show and as professional advisor for the balance of home owner call in questions.

All three of the new Inside Out Show’s garden hosts/ experts are wonderful writers and have featured articles published on a frequent basis in the Gateway Gardener. KTRS’s website will surely be updated with this new hosting information shortly!

God Bless You

… Re

No comments: