Tuesday, August 23, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday August 20th Plant of the Week Gomphrena ‘All Around Purple’




It was very easy to focus on this relatively small family grouping that belongs to a very large plant family, Ameranth. This tidy foliaged butterfly magnet is a distant relative of the more mainstream but still quaintly old fashioned bedding plant, celosia.

Historically, and yes, I do mean historically- as in through the ages since Biblical time this plant family has endured! Is is easy to find endless references for the many uses of this plant including its grain’s amazing attributes and many recipes for cooking and baking use etc.

It seems to be a frequent problem for me to hone in on one particular variety of some of my favorite plant families but I am doing it this week because of a recent “so impressive I had to stop” moment I want to share.

Last week as I was orienting myself to a brand new botanical garden in the making (more on this exciting topic coming soon- I am sooooo excited!) I found myself fist standing still, then sitting on the roadside, and then swirly feeling as wonderful memories flooded my mind and yes, my heart fluttered a little (should check this out?)

I immediately went on a search for the nursery person responsible for this fantastic show. I felt compelled to tell this “master planner/ grower of this old but not old, looks to be “reformed” version of a familiar “plant/ that feels like a friend” how his display affected my day and maybe share a few memories as well.

It is hard to put into words the feelings a plant can stir so it ended up I didn’t even try. I simply did what I have always done, raved, clapped and congratulated my new acquaintance on what a superb job he did in selecting such a perfect plant for such challenging location. Not to mention, (but I did) on its success despite, such a particularly tough year. Congrats to the brave who aren’t afraid to try a “newish” plant!

He humbly gave credit to others including his boss, the lovely Babette, co-owner of Frissella Nursery, he squirmed over my litany of compliments and then, bursting with pride, he kicked our “transportation” into top gear, flew past a few customers and my long time friend Tony Frissella, co-host of 97.1 garden talk show “ All Around The Yard”. Anyway, away we went, down and around and off and away to where his current plant babies, his well grown specialty mums,” I am not a baby any more” nursery setting.

I swear he did this just so I could hover over their little green mounding heads, make gurgling sounds as I gobble up plant tag details and flush red with the anticipation of seeing them all grown up, sitting on the retail shelf. I think he wanted his plant babies to know someone is waiting for them!

Back to the plant of the week- Gomphrena,
Here is a list of a few of my favorite cultivars:


Buddy
Tall Purple
Fireworks
Strawberry Fields


(I am still fond of Celocia’New Look Red and Cottage companion ‘ Love Lies A Bleeding’
Final comment – Did I mention how attractive these plants are to butterflies and birds?


See my favorite stand of gomphrena growing at the entrance of Frissella Nursery, a family owned business that is going the extra step with a new botanical garden in the making that will introduce the “who’s who” and the story about “Growing Success” in this Show Me State. I will be giving preview tours in the coming weeks!


Speaking of Show Me and Show Me Smart Gardening, , I am now helping my readers and listeners with their turf issues as well by helping Glenn Kraemer of G.R. Robinson Seed Company with his blog, we needed to get him "out there" and searchable on line so he can get this turf talk to you! Glenn has taught the Missouri Botanical Garden, St Louis Community College at Meramec and he writes for my favorite local paper, The Gateway Gardener.


Please visit his Truth ‘n Turf blogspot at http://glennonkraemer.blogspot.com/. and comment and ask questions- he is really good at this and he is a wonderful friend!


Read about him and the plants when you follow my links!



Faith Note and notes, never let it be an afterthought!

When I googled the root word of "amaranth" is the Greek ἀμάραντος[1] (amarantos), I felt immeadiate joy when considering how easy it has been to be evident in my faith these days , sharing my passion for plants that lead me to my passion for Christ!


This little somewhat obscure plant name describes My Father God’s love, “unfading". It is also grouped in a plant description of ccut flowers called “everlasting” and somewhere along the course of my information collecting, the word “immortatality” was repeated.


I am truly blessed for eternity!



The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.

…Re




No comments: