Monday, June 13, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday June 11th Who’s Who in The Hydrangea Family, What is the Hype and My Gripe?




Well did anyone successfully keep score of the tally of black marks I accumulated this Saturday on air? I lost count after the 4th mark but who is counting?

I thought I would actually gain a few brownie points, (not more black marks) I drove all the way to Rolling Ridge WITH gas prices so high.

I had mistakenly thought there would be a round of applause for honoring an in person request from Jim McMillan. Apparently he thinks I wanted to do a complete, in person, inventory of Rolling Ridge’s wonderful tree, shrub and plant selections. (OK, so He knows me pretty well-but don’t tell him)

I am still having trouble choosing just one plant for my “brag about” segment. It was even worse after I saw how well they were stocked with good looking quality material.

The best I could do in the few hours was to narrow it down to the family of Hydrangeas. It wasn’t till I was on my way out I saw the deserving candidate for me SHOW ME STAR recognition. She stopped me in my tracks, H hydrangea paniculata‘PINK DIAMOND-tree form- WOW- what a great idea!

Some of the best time of the day was chatting with friends Chris Wagner (a great tree and shrub guy), and Lynn, Jim dear sweet daughter who is there-like night and day. I had only a minute to give a quick shout out to Susie, Jim’s wife who apparently has great stamina and patience.

Debbie, John Shea’s talented “how does she do it?” side kick was there too, as was Eon (?), running the board on location. And of course, didn’t I mention Jim and John!

The real disappointment was missing long time green heart, soon to be a mother of the bride, Mary Collier. I left after the first half of the show because my little “Patty cake” felt very warm and looked very flushed. I was worried he was running a fever. I hope my regrets were passed along!

Apparently the only thing he was running was g-pa- in a big huge circle around the lot, thru the store, out the back, down the hill and around again. Pattycake was fine but g-pa was dizzy, more tired than he would admit, apparently overheated and maybe even slightly dehydrated.

It was the perfect excuse to stop for ice cream on the way home!

As far as Hydrangeas go, I am fast to admit, I have my favorites, and they are not the ones with the most "hype". I also am convinced that as a plant family they demonstrate the challenges faced with “pot culture” .

My gripe, it has been my experience that H. Oakleafs frequently look sick in containers, but shopper aren't told that a plant that looks great in a pot is not guarenteed to look as good in the ground. Some do, many don't! Oakleaves get leaf spot and they can look, well almost rangy in almost any size pot. Plant them in the right location, water them adequately and boom, they recover completely. The difference-night and day!

Also, H. arborescence ‘Annabelle’ can look rough next to almost any of the well "hyped "macro- but she blooms in the Midwest-every year, big flowers, with minimal moisture and she is reliable. She also has a very long life span. Year after year of performance!

What about the Pink Annabelles? Well that depends on who you talk to but so far they are not coming across with the "wow" of some of the others that are part of the current rage.


I spoke with my own personal expert/Hydrangea breeder on H. 'Invincible Spirit' and I am convinced the growers are just not able yet to produce a good looking young product. My very reliable source suggests give her a few years in the ground and she will hold her head high, have great blooms and strong stems. Just because she can’t grow in a pot like the macros doesn’t mean she can’t out perform them reliably- she just needs to get settled in before she wins your heart!

H. Pink Diamond stole my heart years ago- in bush form as a hedge- she made me weak in the knees! How sweet it is to see her again- this time in a tree form!

Unlike some other hydrangeas that have been touted as good tree forms and then break and tear in our summer rain awith wind storms, she has shown in shrub form good stem strength in a down pour, relatively good “hold” in rain and some wind tolerance.

Many places she would be good as a small tree are likely to be somewhat protected. This makes her, in my mind a worthy to watch plant for places that need a sturdy, small” tree like” choice for patio viewing, courtyards and other small areas.

Gripe / Draw backs? Only one at this point. I have seen drought stress reduce flower size in many plants and I would assume that even though I have seen this gal in heavy root competition, she was in a well prepared bed. If moisture levels drop at any critical point, flowering size may be compromised.

And because she might get used in a limited space, and possibly even be surrounded partially or completely by hardscape, she may have either an access issue to moisture or a poor drainage situation where over watering could occur. A perched water situation could lead to her demise.

I believe in educating and honoring the stewardship connection between the homeowners and their “piece of heaven”.

I feel comfortable recommending this hydrangea for a "casual care" situation as long as they are made aware of man-made situations to avoid, use sensible watering guidelines and seek professional advice when any plant starts to fall short of their expectations.

Here are a Hydrangea link to check out-and remember local / regional information is best when dealing with questions about performance and hardiness.

Most importantly, get to know your nursery professional.
Ask questions, follow their instructions and know their preferred method of communication before a plant dies- not after!

There is usually a reasonable “check in” procedure that will work for both of you! I have always found dialoguing useful. Frequent reports and feedback is essential for customer / nursery relationships.

Best advice, “be ready”. Plan to always “make room” in your garden for what is coming. You never know what the future brings. Let your smiling face be what is on your nursery person’s mind when premium and promising material like this H. PINK DIAMOND tree form arrives on the lot!

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=D619


Personal note:

Be ready is also the most perfect biblical advice I can offer. I am so humbled when I realized my advice for communication is exactly the way I start my day.

Just as I recommend “checking in” with your favorite nursery person, I am doing the same and learning how to dialoging with my Heavenly Father, my Creator God. I do know the degree of the process is slightly different but it is even more personal.

I have been blessed to be able to share my passion for plants over the years. It has taught me how to open my heart. Just like you, I have come to know it is ok to ask questions, to ask for direction and instruction. I don’t want to be too late in finding His preferred method of communication either. I also hope I don’t let any issue lay overly long before addressing it and bring it to Him for “re”solving.

My check in procedure is part of my day and it works for both of us. I report in and I ask for feedback- it is most rewarding. Apparently, that is the way all relationships work because they are based on His Perfect Design. I am honored to have been blessed with such wonderful friends and family who have taught me all I know about “relationship essentials”. I am a blessed …

Work In Progress……Re

No comments: