Sunday, March 6, 2011

KTRS 550 Inside Out Show Plant of the Week Saturday March 5 2011


Lucky Shamrock (Oxalis Regnelli)

Although I believe in blessings not luck, I am reminded annually of the personal importance of this cheery plant and his romantic connection to me and St. Patrick’s Day.
So for no better reason than the importance of having a reminder of life and God’s blessings, I chose this uncommonly interesting houseplant.

With that in mind, I wish to encourage those with a soft heart but not a green thumb to consider gifting with this sweet spring green relative of our native wood sorrel.

This is an uncharacteristic effort on my part
to share my “odd little ode”
a “fanciful write”
to an acceptable gift
that offers me hope
when “winter weary”
either by the calendar or by life!

My Four Leaf Clover

First so nimble and fresh, he fills up his space
youthful and tender growth-delightful grace
So, rapid and bountiful,
he seems well... unstoppable.

As he brightens the day,
My senses overtake me,
something is just... right.
Basic in his needs,
his requirements are like,
minimal nourishment,
warmth, water and light.

Who knows the strength
it takes for each little stem
to push oversized leaves to such lenghts!
Opening and spreading
to catch the sun’s rays.
Out all day, closed tight by night.

On a soundless cue he presents his flowers, his gifts.
And like a school boy waiting
for a sweet first kiss
He stretches and reaches
till he touches my lips

Ah the relief of love,
now given and returned,
He make my life's pleasure
his primary task,
Not his duty, I'm sure
I've done nothing to deserve
His filllings of flowers I've not earned
No weight or measure
the blossoms, oh they are
are more than I asked

Flowers parade by
in a predicatable cycle.
Day in, day out
not one to neglect
He transports and stores
the energy he collects
Why can’t I see the price he pays for me
Invisible is his work,
oh, Love is his theme
Diligent is his effort,
ongoing and routine.

Hidden from view in a world I can’t know,
in what is his storehouse,
where from his goodness, it flows.

Now for all those with worldly eyes
It looks like his purpose is “done”.
In the battles of life, its over, he has lost –not won.
The “I’ve served my purpose” top growth is gone!

Ahh,… but after a time
It seems he was not idle or done,
the new growth emerges
thrives, thirst and reaches for sun!

I can only say this
after this painful attempt
To say this is an entertaining plant,
With most conditions, ....he’s content!

OK I’ll stop---- with relative long life- longer than this write... and with far more potential. He is in my humble opinion, entertaining and easy to maintain through his bloom and dormant cycles. He is likly to last much longer than this posting- awkward moment confessed- must stop soon!

oh well...This cheery fellow can brighten the window sill of an experienced plant collector or the newbie that has killed everything except maybe a peace lily. Yes I am referring to my dear Irish friend John Shea, who has learned much about "living", being " green"-inside and outside, while co-hosting KTRS’s Inside Out Show with Jim McMillian on 550, Saturdays).

Here are a few links plus a warning: much more time can slip away while following these links and learning about the many interesting members of this family. My hope is you will come to appreciate the range and delicate beauty of all of these including the perhaps less showy but durable even under foot traffic but possibly not appreciated and even considered headachy ones in your landscape.

And now and equally uncommon – a “RANT”

It amazes me how often we produce a list of plant attributes that seem desirable until we are “lucky" or "unlucky” enough to met up with one that has many of them. Once we experience personally the tenacity of the genetics we have wished for, we might realize one or all of the following:

There are no "perfect" plants
We are not qualified to define "perfect"
All plants are "perfect"wwin the right place

Side note for those who are interested in native plantings, the North American wood sorrels might need more shade or filtered sun

http://www.kingdomplantae.net/yellowWoodSorrel.php

http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/?p=6332

No comments: