Saturday, March 19, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday March 19th Plant of the Week


While on location at Greenscape Gardens this Saturday for their Spring Festival and to welcome Jim McMillan back after his 9 week 50th wedding anniversary vacation, I was struck with all Jim and I have in common (there would be too much to list, but I think it is why we “get along” so well!)

It was so obvious that we both had caught our annual case of spring fever. (Read older blog post for Jan 8th 2011 on Spring Fever for description of symptoms-it can be quite contagious)

Did I mention one of the symptoms is difficulty in decision making? (Guess I better reread my own blog and be sure I had added forgetfulness!)

The point being, I could only narrow my favorite plant of the week focus down to three, dill, strawberry (I prefer the June bearing cultivars)and of course Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart. (I didn’t get to mention my favorite native butterfly magnet for black swallow tail butterflies or where to buy it- Zizia aurea (Golden Alexander). This has been a very nice Missouri native plant that is prettier once it is planted in the ground and of course the swallowtails love it!

I even squeezed in a quick comment about my signature combination of succession partnering of bleeding heart with fall blooming anemones-(one of my favorite POM) follow links for cultural information. I admittedly I am having difficulty following instructions! (I guess I better add that to the symptoms, through I think spring fever just exaggerates the problem if it is already a tendency)

Also when I am having a bout of spring fever, rampant impulsiveness and sever hortarrhea (like diarrhea of the mouth only with a horticulture flavor) becomes a problem. I then have a tendency to butt into the Q&A segments, without invitation- without regret!

The fact is I never feel like there is never enough time to ask enough questions or even give a complete answer on air!

What is the best medicine for Spring Fever?

For me it is passing it along to family and friends! I was truly blessed to be with not only my KTRS station friends but with my sweet daughter Holly. She works at Greenscape with Jennifer Schamber, manager of Greenscape, and her many friendly and knowledgeable employees. My “sisters of the heart” June and Dianne were also there- what a wonderful day! (See picture of Holly and Jennifer on this post!)

No comments: