Sunday, July 10, 2011

5550 KTRS Inside Out Show Saturday July 9th Plant of the Week The Bald Cypress




I gave Jim a choice this week to feature either a popular ornamental grass or this less familiar but exceptional tree, Taxodium distichum (Baldcypress, Bald Cypress, or Swamp Cypress). I don’t think I mentioned that it is a personal favorite. I grew this tree from a sapling my daughter brought home from school and enjoyed it for many years in my own front yard!

Jim showed his horticulture good taste as well as his horticulture expertise and chose this excellent tree to be the outstanding choice to bring to our listeners this week so the least I could do is get this information posted as soon as possible

Probably most correctly identified by its full botanical name Taxodium distichum var. distichum, this is a stately, beautiful and very tough tree.

Tolerant of heavy compacted clay subsoil, Bald Cypress also shrugs off fluctuating extremes in moisture levels including this year’s “will it ever stop raining” wet spring and the ever likely hot, humid, and sometimes drought laden summers. Native to a wide range of the United States, this tree can handle the typical and not so typical weather patterns of Missouri.

I love the refreshing look of its soft feathery appearance in July as much as I like its stark statuesque form in the snow mid-winter. Its fall color is noteworthy as well. This deciduous evergreen turns a beautiful burnt copper color each fall before its flattened “needles” drop to the ground.

This tree is trouble free as far as diseases and insects are concerned. Its wood is exceptionally strong and decay resistant. Reseeding isn’t a problem, however reproduction is possible from its small woody cones that naturally disintegrate at maturity.

Although “cypress knees” frequently develop in swamp areas, it is generally believed that it is uncommon for them to develop in residential situations.

The straight species is fairly common but recently there are a few new cultivars available with some very interesting and different traits. I have been looking for a location that seem deserving such a worthy tree!

Re…alizing I have options…

His Alone…

Re

Personal note- thank heavens I have come to re…alize my own unworthiness. I humbly pray to know what God wants me to do…every day!

(Luke 17:10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'“)

No comments: